Friday, March 30, 2012

How to manage all the SqlNK versions at the same time?

Hi everyone,

Nowadays, we've got four sql versions running around: 6.5, 7.0, 2000 and 2005.

If you try attach from Enterprise Manager 2005 servers it doesn't allow you because of 2005 uses SMO instead of DMO.

If you try attach from Management Studio 6.5 or 7.0 servers it doesn't allow you too.

We'd like to have from the same place a tool for all of them. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance,

I have client tools installed for SQL 6.5, 2000 & 2005 in order to manage our environment that is a mixture of SQL 6.5 to 2005 versions, I have no problem in having 3 of them and using at same time.

Could you please explain what you mean by 'if you try to attach....'.

|||

Hi Staya,

I meant, when you do this action: "New Sql Server Registration" from your client.

Yeah, I know, I can open three clients in my own workstation without problems.

I'm talking about that you can't attach from your Management Studio (2005) 7.0 or 6.5 clients.

Beyond of this, from Enterprise Manager (2000) you can attach any Sql Server 2005 because of sql2k uses DMO library instead of SMO (which is native for 2005).

Ok, you could do it from Query Analyzer.

|||I can connect to any of SQL 2k instances at my end using SSMS and check what is the service pack of those SQL instances that are in version 2000. Even the query analyzer in SQL 2005 should be able to connect to SQL 2000 instnaces.|||

Yeah, don't worry.

Idea was that we might have available an unique tool for see all of them.

My idea is maybe something crooked.

|||I believe SSMS is good one to go, but due to the limitations on backward compatibility you might not get what you want. So in this case you need to have 2 or 3 versions of SQL tools to continue the work. I'm sure there is a opportunity for a third party company to develop such tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment