Friday, March 30, 2012

How to manage different input (Excel files) format

Hi all,

I have created a package which import data from excel file and do some technical & business validation on the data. My package has about 20 control flow items. Now I'm asked to handle a second (and probably more in the future) excel file format (columns name are different, some fields are murged in one single column...).

I definitely don't want to create a different package for each excel file format. But I can't find a way in the control flow to execute a particular DataFlow in one case and another DataFlow in other cases. Typically I would like to evaluate an expression an depending on the result execute a DataFlow or another one. Even in a given DataFlow I cant find a way to have a condition and process different Excel Source depending on an expression result. Or it would be good if I could say to my Excel Source to discover the columns name and types at runtime and let me manage the columns manually in the data flow. Is that possible ? I know SSIS manage metadata on the columns based on the data source is there any way to manage the metadata manually ? I coulnd't find anything about that in BOL.

I guess an easy workaround is to have a different package just to import the different excel files in a common staging table and each package calls a single package which contains all technical & business validation.

Any help will be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Sbastien.

Have you discovered the expressions on precedence constraints? They seems like ideal fit for your requirements.

Double click a precedence constraint line, select a condition and an expression.|||

Right! That's what I needed.

Thanks for your answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment