Friday, March 30, 2012

How to manage security with Access FE and SQL 2005 Express BE

I have upsized my Access 2003 database to SQL Server 2005 Express so that al
l
the tables are now reside in SQL Server; forms, queries and report are still
in Access, but how do I manage users now?
Do I setup users on the SQL Server or maintain those which I have set up in
Access using the security wizard.
It is important that users have no direct access to the tables but
unfortunately they can still do so in Access. I do not wish that they amend
or edit them directly. I am hoping that I could prevent this with the SQL
server, but I don’t know how to and then how do I connect the security of
the
SQL server with that of the Access database.
Please help.Hi,
yeah you can manage users the same as you done in MS ACCESS
1). Create SQL Users
2). Create Roles
3). Assign proper privileges to Roles
4). Map the users to that Roles respectively
and refer http://www.sqlsecurity.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=24
:-)
Regards
--
Andy Davis
Activecrypt Team
---
SQL Server Encryption Software
http://www.activecrypt.com
"Lisa Tanenbaum" wrote:

> I have upsized my Access 2003 database to SQL Server 2005 Express so that
all
> the tables are now reside in SQL Server; forms, queries and report are sti
ll
> in Access, but how do I manage users now?
> Do I setup users on the SQL Server or maintain those which I have set up i
n
> Access using the security wizard.
> It is important that users have no direct access to the tables but
> unfortunately they can still do so in Access. I do not wish that they amen
d
> or edit them directly. I am hoping that I could prevent this with the SQL
> server, but I don’t know how to and then how do I connect the security o
f the
> SQL server with that of the Access database.
> Please help.
>|||Andy
Thanks for your reply. I am completely new to SQL Server so it wasn't so
obvious to me. I think I understand it a little better now.
"Andy Davis" wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
> Hi,
> yeah you can manage users the same as you done in MS ACCESS
> 1). Create SQL Users
> 2). Create Roles
> 3). Assign proper privileges to Roles
> 4). Map the users to that Roles respectively
> and refer http://www.sqlsecurity.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=24
> :-)
> Regards
> --
> Andy Davis
> Activecrypt Team
> ---
> SQL Server Encryption Software
> http://www.activecrypt.com
>
> "Lisa Tanenbaum" wrote:
>

No comments:

Post a Comment